Whilst the original plan for the layout involved running some ‘what if’ trains all the up to 1995, as I’ve been researching the line it has become clear that there was enough variety of trains and locomotives up to closure and beyond that there will be no need to do this so the layout will be based on the following:
- The track plan remained as it was in the late 1960s with the lines to Stella Gill still intact.
- At least one coal mine remained on the line until closure – this will give a reason for the Stella Gill lines still being in situ and an opportunity for some shunting.
- A chronology of trains will run starting with the last 9F hauled ore train on 19 November 1966 to the green liveried Class 24s and then blue liveried Class 37s on the ore trains right up to the track lifting trains in 1985.
- A number of passenger specials that ran in the late 1970s and early 1980s will also be included.
- The model is to be built to P4 standards as published by the Scalefour Society.
Initially, just the junction will be built i.e. the section between what is now the A693 bridge at Batleys and the bridge at Pelton Lane. The current, proposed, track plan, including a possible extension for Stella Gill can be seen here.
I am under no illusions that this will be a massive undertaking but at least it will keep my busy for a good while 🙂