Opened in 1890, South Pelaw Colliery produced coal until it was closed on 3 January 1964.
During it’s working life, the colliery had the following owners:
- 1860s – Perkins & Co
- 1880s – E.M. Perkins & Partners
- 1890s – South Pelaw Coal Co. Ltd.
- 1947 – National Coal Board (NCB)
Employing 353 men in 1896 to a peak of 883 in 1930, 377 remained upon closure in 1964.
The colliery was rail served with a steeply graded connection from South Pelaw Junction to the exchange sidings with a level crossing taking the lines over Pelton Lane to the colliery itself.
Further information on the colliery and it’s history can be found on then Durham Mining Museum website.