STEAM LOCOMOTIVES

A look at the various steam locomotives that worked the line.

LNER Q6 0-8-0 (NER T2 Class)

7753589634_3e0a9359d2_o

NER Q6 63394 at Consett in May 1964. Photo copyright Ron Fisher

Designed by Vincent Raven, at total of one hundred and twenty engines were built at the NER’s Darlington Works between 1913 and 1918.

An unqualified success they lasted, almost unaltered, on freight haulage (the locomotives had no train braking capability so could not be used on passenger trains) in the North East until the demise of steam in 1967.

A Q6, number 63395, has been preserved by the North East Locomotive Preservation Group, details here.

5982683460_9006c722d2_o

NER Q6 63346 at Consett on 28 June 1960. Photo copyright Ron Fisher

7753587822_dea0148967_o

NER Q6 63357 at Consett in May 1964. Photo copyright Ron Fisher

7753590484_a4100dacca_o

NER Q6 63439 at Consett in May 1964. Photo copyright Ron Fisher

7753587046_759a75e538_o

An NER Q6 at Leadgate in May 1964. It is just to the west of South Medomsley Junction. The NCB wagon is in the Headshunt of Eden Colliery. The white building that can just be glimpsed under the drawbar of the tender is the ‘Jolly Drovers’ pub. The pub is still there, but most of the formation has succumbed to being a roundabout and a maze on the Coast to Coast Cycle route. Photo copyright Ron Fisher

LNER K1 2-6-0

7753582508_9122dd715b_o

LNER K1 62027 at Consett in May 1964. Photo copyright Ron Fisher

With a design attributed to Arthur Peppercorn, the K1s were an LNER design but all seventy of the locomotives ordered were delivered to British Railways after nationalisation.  Like the Q6, they served right up to the end of steam.

A K1, number 62005, , has been preserved by the North East Locomotive Preservation Group, detals here.

7753586002_cdd34fbafb_o

LNER K1 62027 at East Castle between Annfield Plain and Leadgate in May 1964. Photo copyright Ron Fisher

BR 9F 2-10-0

2014-08-27_11

92099 at South Pelaw Junction with a coal train. Note the white buffers and smokebox door hinges, a hallmark of Tyne Dock shed. Photo Author’s collection.

Designed for British Railways by Robert Riddles, a total of two hundred and fifty one 9Fs were built originally for use on heavy freight trains. ten 9F locomotices, numbers 92060-92066 and 92097-92099 were modified, with the fitment of a pair of Westinghouse Air pumps, specifically to haul the the iron ore trains from Tyne Dock to Consett.

The 9Fs began duties on the ore trains in 1956 with the final 9F hauled train, named the Tyne Docker, running to Consett on 19 November 1966 behind a specially cleaned and adorned 92063.

A number of 9Fs have been saved for preservation, the most well known of which, Evening Star, is part of the National Collection.

92xxx 1960s Consett gear-ROneg-S183-123-(ZF-4806-60506-1-001)

A close-up of the Westginghouse Air Pumps that were fitted to all ten of the 9Fs modified for the iron ore trains. Photo copyright Rail-Online

One of those fitted with air pumps for working the Consett ore trains

92062 at it’s home depot, Tyne Dock, on 30 May 1964. Photo copyright Rail-Online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *