As the layout is not at home, I’ve had no access since the new period of lockdown came in but I have been doing some work at home and, in particular, I’ve made a start on the signals.
Having never built signals before, I figured I’d start with the simplest one at the junction, number 9, a short tubular post signal on the Up Washington Branch next to the bridge at the Washington end of the junction. The signal can be seen under the left hand span of the bridge in the photo below:
And here is my version of the signal made from a cut down version of an MSE kit:
To operate the signals, I’ve decided on servos which will be controlled from a lever frame via MERG Servo 4 boards:
Here it is, working:
Having build number 9, I then moved on to number 60 which is next to the same bridge but is on the down Consett main. The signal consists of a home semaphore arm and a colour light distant (which replaced an earlier semaphore arm). The bottom half of the signal is made of steel angle and strip with a tubular post for the top half. It can be seen in the background in the photo below:
For my version of the signal, I’ve scratch built the bottom half with brass angle, brass and styrene strip. The top half is from MSE and the colour light head from CR Signals.